Alzheimer's Disease in India Consultancy Service

If you have a project, contact us for advice at hendi.lingiah@gmail.com

Join our Family Caregivers, Volunteers and Care Professionals on Facebook and LinkedIn.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

An experience of Alzheimer's Café (USA).

An experience of Alzheimer's Café by Jytte Lokvig :

" Interestingly, that particular day at the cafe had one of my favorite incidents. The place was full! We had more than forty guests. 

About thirty minutes into the cafe I noticed that a woman had lingered by the entrance for several minutes. I went to invite her to join us. She shook her head and said, "Not yet, I'm waiting for the “Alzheimer's people” to get here." 

I couldn't help but to chuckle to myself, because at that very moment one third to one half of the crowd had some kind of memory-impairment, but with the laughter, singing and cheerful chatter, one could not tell who was what. 

That's the very goal of the Alzheimer's Café : to offer people a place to just be "normal" (if there is such a creature,) be themselves, be accepted unconditionally, and be happy!"

No comments: